Wednesday, December 07, 2005

My Dad

This is my dad. The photo was taken in 1948.

The Nazi occupation of Norway had ended three years ago. Norwegians were still happy it was over, their exuberance only having started to wane ever so little little. They were full of optimism, determination and hope for the future. Everyone was busy sharing one superobjective: rebuilding the country. There was a sense of joy, libido was in the air, and everywhere one went people were engaged in creating and supporting life.

The occupation had been long, exactly five years and one month, and very harsh. My father, as did my family on both my father and mother's side, had been actively engaged in the resistance.

My dad was 22 at the time this photo was taken. He had recently met my mother. Less than a year later, they got married.

I am so glad they did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home